nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Seed germination

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Seed germination
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:52:45 -0600

Hi Rond[i|o],

You are probably thinking of gibberellic acid (GA-3), although
depending on what kind of seeds and the storage conditions the seeds
have been subjected to, you probably don't have much of a chance even
with GA-3. Unless they were frozen, forty years is a long time for
most seeds to just *sit around*.

Basically you mix a solution of somewhere between 250-1000 PPM and
soak the seeds in it before starting normal germination procedures.
Some seeds do not seem to respond at all, some seem to react adversely
(no germination), and some respond best at a specific solution, so
it's good to try several different solutions as well as a control.
Other [common] uses of GA-3 include inducing flowering in some plants.

GA-3 is inexpensive and easy to obtain from several different sources.
I like J. L. Hudson.

Good luck,
Chad Knepp