nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Splice grafting, knifes & more.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Splice grafting, knifes & more.
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 06:34:57 EST

In a message dated 3/11/2004 8:31:09 AM US Eastern Standard Time, pinewoodel@hotmail.com writes:

I have occasionaly been faced with no choice but tiny scion wood, a cherry
plum for instance. Your interesting comment on callusing from top down makes
me wonder 'if the dessication problem in tiny scionwood could be solved by
dipping a 6" scion in hot parrifin? or wet rag? or?' then maybe one could
gain more stored energy by extra long length? . I have yet to solve how to
graft with 1/16" scionwood well. A lovely 0'F this am. Del

Hi Del,

I've grafted material that had been dipped in paraffin. Yes, that should help reduce dehydration and it makes sense to me that scion wood that has lost water which is the carrier of nutrients would have reduced ability to form callous. I don't like to graft material with wrinkled bark signaling moisture loss. What is surprising is looks like dipping in hot molten wax could injure the scion, but I've successfully grafted such.  Even with wax residue in the graft area.

My advise still is to make sure the wood is stored with sufficient moisture to reduce loss in the wood. I like also to dip the cut ends in wax before storing. I use a mixture of paraffin and cheese wax (about 50/50, not critical) which has a lower melting point and the red color is easier seen on the wood. Doesn't chip off as easily either because is slightly pliable.

Jerry