nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Splice grafting, knifes & more.

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Splice grafting, knifes & more.
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:21:18 -0500

On Mar 11, 2004, at 8:03 AM, Jwlehman@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 3/10/2004 1:12:41 AM US Eastern Standard Time, pinewoodel@hotmail.com writes:
. . . Bind the splice graft with a grafting rubber. Then cover with Parafilm, a medical product that when stretched and wrapped the overlapping seals in moisture while allowing gasses to escape. Cover the entire graft with it. The bud pushes through, no problem, every time. Unless of course you but a huge number of wraps on it. But I've even had buds push through Parafilm and aluminum foil that was covering that to keep the graft cool in the sun.
. . .

What's your opinion of strips of plastic from a supermarket produce bag? The stuff is stretchy and easy to work with, and free and easy to find.

I have also found masking tape difficult - as you say, it doesn't have the stretch to pull together a slightly uneven cut, or even hold a perfect cut firmly, so when I used it I felt I needed rubber underneath. And it was very hard to form a tight seal over uneven wood, since the stuff wants to stay flat. But I've had good luck with strips of plastic bag. I've tried them with and without rubber underneath, and don't remember if it made a difference. I did need to remove the stuff at the end of the season.