nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pistachio Huller

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pistachio Huller
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:10:37 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Pistachio Huller
I have no personal experience, but I did read that pistachios were hulled with a machine that used rubber rollers.  Assuming you could find one, perhaps an old wringer washing machine might be worth testing.  Failing that, I had an uncle who cracked sunflower seeds using an old hand coffee mill set as coarse as it would go.  Not sure if it would open up enough to hull pistachios, but perhaps someone with some mechanical skill could make  a larger scale version with cracking gears set farther apart.
-Lon Rombough

I expect to hear dead silence but I have to ask. A backyard grower in New
Mexico, tired of paying big bucks to have the pistachios from his four
trees hulled at a commercial processor, asked us in CRFG where he could
find a potato peeler or anything else that would work to remove
recalcitrant hulls from the nuts. I assume he means one of those commercial
potato peelers, which would probably run into major money as well. Does
anyone have a suggestion for something that would work?

Bill Grimes
wagrimes@sonic.net