nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer, piglets and people

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer, piglets and people
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:07:07 -0500

On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 11:45 AM, DocKW@aol.com wrote:

We amateur orchardists call the whitetails  "orchard rats"...and that  describes them perfectly in their current role in our area.
Add to the damage they do to the trees etc , the danger of Lyme disease is a HUGE economic threat (just ask someone who has had Lyme)....and the deer are the main vector of the disease...they maintain the tick population so the other critters also become carriers..

We now have sighted small wolves in our area....just what we need....another predator:(  Now you really need to be careful in the woods.
K W. Olson,,,,zone 5 SW  Connecticut

Are you sure they are wolves? Coyote seems more likely.

In either case, they're not likely to attack humans (at least, unless they're actually stray or feral domestic dogs). You might want to keep your cats in at night, though.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly