nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer, piglets and people

  • From: ernestplutko@netscape.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org (North American Fruit Explorers)
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer, piglets and people
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:14:31 -0500

We have a lot of timber wolves and brush wolves (a large coyote) in northern
Minnesota. I have lived here for more than 40 years and have never heard of
anyone being attacked or hurt by wolves. You are in far more danger from
ticks. Some of the more crooked cattle farmers here like to use a dried
timber wolf foot to make tracks in the snow around a dead calf or cow so they
can claim compensation for "wolf" kills. My neighbor (now dead) collected
more wolf kill money than any other farmer in Minnesota. He used to brag
when drunk, how stupid the compensation people were and how much money he
made in the spring when his weak calves died from the cold.

DocKW@aol.com wrote:

>We amateur orchardists call the whitetails  "orchard rats"...and that
>describes them perfectly in their current role in our area.
>Add to the damage they do to the trees etc , the danger of Lyme disease is a
>HUGE economic threat (just ask someone who has had Lyme)....and the deer are
>the main vector of the disease...they maintain the tick population so the
>other
>critters also become carriers..
>
>We now have sighted small wolves in our area....just what we need....another
>predator:(  Now you really need to be careful in the woods.
>K W. Olson,,,,zone 5 SW  Connecticut

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.