nafex - [NAFEX] Disposing of Objections

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Disposing of Objections
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:35:37 -0500

Lon:

My garbage disposal grinder is the el cheapo model, which has stainless steel hammers, a steel grinding plate, and a cast aluminum alloy grinding chamber. Having dismantled the machine several times, I can tell you there is no visible corrosion on the aluminum parts, but I rinse it well and allow it to dry outdoors before putting it away. Since the apples travel through the machine in the blink of an eye, I really doubt they are picking up much aluminum. It's not as if you were allowing pureed apples to stand overnight in aluminum.

If you want an all-stainless grinding chamber, as I mentioned in Para. 2 of my msg., buy the more expensive model with a more powerful motor, which I also recommend. The rubber blowback-protection insert should be removed from any model for ease of apple insertion. There is little, if any blowback. The ISE disposals, which currently dominate the U.S. market, come in a half-dozen different price and quality levels. The ingredients of the disposals are listed on the box.

I'm pretty sure I did write up an article on the garbage grinder a couple of year ago for Pomona. No pictures though. But picture this in your mind's eye: A small table, about 2x2 feet square, at countertop height, with a switchbox on the side, and a garbage disposal installed in the center through a piece of plywood or kitchen countertop. That's all there is to it.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

  • [NAFEX] Disposing of Objections, Don Yellman, 12/21/2003