nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organic Apple Question....

  • From: Andrew Bell <acbell@iastate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organic Apple Question....
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 12:58:40 -0600

At 05:48 AM 12/9/2003 -0800, you wrote:
I frequently read about organic apple orchards and wonder how they keep the Apple Maggots and Plum Curcullio in check. I've tried hanging bottles of apple juice, cider vinegar, and, another time, apple juice with mother-of-vinegar in each. A few bottles, alot of bottles, I catch alot of bugs but the nasties still render the fruit inedible. I'd like to hear from those of you who've figured out a solution.

There is a book called "The Apple Grower", by Michael Phillips, which covers organic production almost exclusively. The new weapon in the war is "Surround", which is finely ground Kaolin clay with a sticker. I have used it for the past two years with pretty good results. It does a great job on Plum Curculio and Apple Maggot - not as good a job on Codling Moth and some of the other buggers.

Cheers,

-- Andrew Bell
acbell@iastate.edu