nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Bunnies (fury)

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Bunnies (fury)
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:45:34 -0500

Hi Dave,

You will note that rabbits forage the same trails/paths night after night, put this to your advantage.

In my case their usual route was blocked by a snow drift.  I cut a path through the snow drift re-opening their regular route.  The path I cut through the drift was the same width as my rabbit trap.  They just hopped right into the trap night after night.  As many rabbits use that forage trail, will over time, be caught.  Real creatures of habit.

When they say "dumb bunny" they really mean it.

Now don't anyone get upset, I did not kill the bunnies.  I took them over to a fellow who keeps free range rabbits.   Although he does tell me, his stock of free range bunnies is dropping, but the hawks and coyotes are getting fatter.

Guess predators know where to hunt too. (smile)

Later,
Tom

Griffin Gardens wrote:

 The anticipated damage from a higher than usual population of cottontails this year to my nursery trees seems to have been averted. The 2" x 4" welded wire exclusion fence has been successful so far, and at 4' high, should continue to do so even if the east coast stops co-opting all of our snow. The little we have is enough to show their nightly trails up to and around the fence, in what must be Alfred Hitchcock-like numbers, and when I mistakenly left the gate open a crack for two nights, I got a notion of the damage they could do if they had the chance - a Tippy Hedren nightmare. The high population seems to be concentrated in this small area and I think if I could cut down the breeding population, I might be able to make a significant and long term reduction without their coming in immediately from the outside to fill the vacuum. Has anybody had any success with leg hold traps?  What about a bait for live traps?  Anything else work? Dave

_______________________________________________ nafex mailing list  nafex@lists.ibiblio.org To unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options): http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex File attachments are NOT stripped by this list TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES! Please do not send binary files. Use plain text ONLY in emails! Message archives are here: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada