nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Organic Apple Question....

  • From: "Jim Cooper" <JCooper@lewiston.k12.id.us>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Organic Apple Question....
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:19:32 -0800

What is the answer for coddling moth in the organic orchard. Even in the
most recommended books (Michael Philips, and others) they suggest spray
that is no longer available.

Yes organic apple production is very difficult. I have tried in Idaho
zone 6 for 5 years now and have not saved even 1/4 of the fruit, using
many suggestions, including surround, Jugs with :( cider vinegar,
molasses and ammonia diluted with water),tricograma wasps, dormant oil,
and even Malathion, and other chemicals, nothing of less strength seems
to work.
I have mostly a codling moth problem. I am not sure but don't think I
have maggot or curcurllio.
I do have some powdery white mildew, and have used just this last year
some neem concentrate and that helped the mildew and the bugs. It did
not eliminate either but helped on that one tree. I am going to try just
neem on another problematic tree next year to see what happens. It is
just a tough one to keep them off.
I have done different controls on several trees and nothing seems to
help if it is organic. I've spent a lot at Gardens Alive for things that
one year they say it will help with codling moth and then the next year
it does not list for codling moth
I did use diazinon and boy that does work but the effect on the
raspberries was it kept the bees away for weeks and then I had deformed
berries! and how about me?
I have tried a mix of Malathion and other stuff:" Fruit tree spray" and
even tried to get out there every week and had 80-90 % wormy fruit.

>>> mail@logcabinorchard.com 12/10/03 02:49PM >>>
Hi Jim. Curc's a difficult pest to control but I'm hearing great
things
about Surround - a kaolin clay product produced by Englehard Corp. We
control apple maggot by hanging roughly 100 red plastic spheres coated
with
tanglefoot (placement is important) - normally on the perimeter of the
orchard along with a yellow plastic cards also coated with tanglefoot.
If
you know the hotspots of your orchard concentrate at those points.
Maggot
has been effectively controlled in our orchard using these techniques.

Good luck and persevere.

Regards and Happy Holidays,

Gord Hawkes
Log Cabin Orchard