nafex - Re: [NAFEX] foul weeding

  • From: "Bruce & Joyce Caldwell" <thecaldwells@Access4Less.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] foul weeding
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 03:17:54 -0600

Tom,

What I know will not fill a teacup! The word is that geese can be used to
weed gardens and orchards, as they have no serious interest in fruit. I know
they eat lots of greens, but am skeptical of the claim thet they won't eat
fruit. Still, they have historically been used for weeding, and some breeds,
or maybe the mongerals of all breeds, are often called weeder geese.

I have used chicken tractors to raise chickens where the predator problems
are serious. You build a small lightweight cage of chicken wire and PVC
pipe, hang a waterer and a feeder in it, cover part with tarp, and add a few
birds. Feed the birds lightly, and move the tractor regularly. The right
combination keeps the weeds down and the soil fertilized. It also limits the
insect populations and provides the best eggs and meat you will find
anywhere.

Joyce