nafex - Re: [NAFEX] turkeys in the orchard/vinyard

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] turkeys in the orchard/vinyard
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:37:51 -0800

Lloyd Lee, famous 90 year old fruit tree breeder near Barrhead, Alberta, has
kept WILD turkeys and chickens free range in his orchard for decades. The
turkeys do a fabulous job of eating grasshoppers, bugs, and even killing
mice (but they don't eat the mice), and weeding. There is no damage that I
could see to any of his trees or fruit on the trees. Lloyd feels strongly
you must use WILD turkeys, not the domesticated ones, which are near useless
in his opinion. His wild turkeys even breed on his property, and it is
common to see a brood of up to 10 chicks with the mother walking and pecking
away in the orchard. Because he feeds them and offers shelter, the turkeys
stay on his property, with the odd one ranging a few miles away. If he
didn't feed and protect them, especially in winter, the population in a few
years would disappear, due to ravens, coyotes, foxes, etc. But each year
enough wild turkeys are born and survive to sustain the population, which
ranges from about 100 birds in early fall to about 15 or 20 by late spring,
then the breeding cycle kicks in again.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta