nafex - RE: [JunkMail] Re: [NAFEX] beechnuts

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [JunkMail] Re: [NAFEX] beechnuts
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:21:25 -0600

At 10:57 AM 11/10/2003 -0800, Mark wrote:
One interests me in that it is only about 10 feet tall, while the
others productive trees were approaching 30 feet. I'm not sure if it is a
dwarf or just young. I'm thinking of ways I can propagate this specimen.

Mark,
They do look like F.sylvatica to me. Longer & larger than any F.grandifolia nuts I've seen.

So far as propagation, you could plant some of these seeds, grow them out for a couple of years, and graft scions of the small, productive specimen onto them, much as they do with the weeping, tricolor, purple, copper, twisted, etc., beech selections.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY