nafex - Re: [NAFEX] beechnuts

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] beechnuts
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:04:21 -0600

At 09:05 AM 11/10/2003 -0800, Mark wrote:

http://mysite.verizon.net/piper33/beechnuts.jpg
As you can see in the picture, beechnuts are not big. I would compare them
in size to small pinenuts. They are very bland and loaded with oil.
Roasting them makes them an interesting nibble.

Mark,
Are those European beech (F.sylvatica) or American beech (F. grandifolia)?
I'm guessing European, based on the size and plumpness. I rarely find well-filled American beechnuts from any of the trees around town here, and while there are a few F.grandifolia trees in my woods, I usually don't think to gather from them at the time when they're ripening, so the wild critters are probably getting most of the 'good' nuts.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY