nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Preserving Persimmons

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: "longdistshtr@shtc.net, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Preserving Persimmons
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:22:30 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Preserving Persimmons
Dried persimmons are pretty good, though they don't taste like fresh.   Don't overdry them, or they can be hard.  Be sure they are as ripe as possible for highest sugar content.  You might even want to roll them in sugar.   Frozen works as long as you use them within 6 months or so.  Otherwise they lose their distinct flavor.  Freeze them whole and the flavor lasts longer.  Persimmon ice cream is a good way to use them.
   Get "Persimmons for Everyone" from the NAFEX library for a huge number of recipes.
I hope to write a new persimmon book one of these days, so if anyone has anything that IS new, I'd like to hear about it.
-Lon Rombough

Anyone got any ideas about preserving all these
native persimmons I'm getting?
I tried to can the pulp and used pumpkin as a guide for
pressure canning. Didn't work. They developed a taste like
green persimmons. One of the pint jars leaked and sprayed
green persimmon tasting pulp inside my pressure cooker. I
had added some sugar to make it a little sweeter.
Separating pulp from seeds was a chore. I had frozen it a
couple of years ago but it lost some of the flavor. I know
about persimmon beer but I prefer pudding and bread.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

OORA!!