nafex - FW: [NAFEX] Apples for Indiana

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "NAFEX Greetings:" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: FW: [NAFEX] Apples for Indiana
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:07:20 -0400

Title: Re: [NAFEX] cornus mas

Scott-----you wrote-

In doing more research for Apple varieties that are ‘easy’ to grow in Indiana I found that the Cooperative Extension Service recommends Scab resistant varieties.  Apple Scab apparently being the #1 disease in Indiana (they may have mentioned fireblight for the south).  They listed the following varieties as good candidates.  Can anybody give me input on any of these?  Taste, performance, whether they are suited for Indiana, etc.?  I want to start with some simpler ones to grow, but also want them to be palatable.

Pristine --Very good eating for an early type and excellent for sauce.

Dayton--Not bad nor great, sweet/tart and large size.

Redfree--A sweet type which ripens over a 2 week period, excellent for drying and is resistant to all major diseases.

Prima -Quality is fair, size is large (when thinned) and susceptible to cedar-apple rust.

Priscilla--Very good quality, a juicy and possibly a bit crisper version of Red Delicious with disease resistance.

Jonafre ---Very slightly similar to Jonathan with quality below jonathan.

Liberty--Will do well in central Indiana (Gina gave an excellent descript. of quality).

Enterprise--Best described as a disease resistant version of Winesap although it has a much tougher skin.

Goldrush--Aside from its susceptibility to cedar rust, this is the easiest and one of the finest quality apples I've ever grown.  Requires heavy annual thinning.

     You also wish to plant the newly released Purdue variety, Sundance with is a late Sept. large yellow apple, sweet/tart (some call it citrus-like flavor), hangs to the tree well and will stay crisp at room temps for 10 or more days.

     Hope this helps

 [Ed Fackler---formerly of Southern Indiana, now southern Ohio---cool fall pleasant weather.