nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cornus mas

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cornus mas
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:06:28 -0500

At 09:32 AM 9/19/2003 -0700, Boyd wrote:
The berries even stay on the tree
hidden from birds for weeks before they drop and
spoil.

The birds here are well acquainted with them, and know what to do with them, as well. The heaviest fruiting one in the park here was loaded with fruit, and I had stopped by a couple of times and picked a few of the fruits that were close to being ripe. Birds were very active in the tree. When I went back, just 2 or 3 days later, they had picked it clean. They seem to just peck the pulp off, as the ground was littered with thousands of 'naked' seeds.

Lucky