nafex - [NAFEX] Cornus mas and 3 early apple

  • From: "Gene Spears" <Spears@LMC.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cornus mas and 3 early apple
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:13:59 -0400

Since Richard is just "down the mountain" from me (Zone 6 - NWNC),
I'm surprised he finds Cornus mas to be a dependable fruiter. I've got a
couple in my yard (one is Red Star, but I forget the other) that have bloomed
for six years - only one year gave me any fruits. We always seem to get one
hard frost after they bloom (March) that shrivels the flowers & kills the
embryonic fruit. I suspect that they can withstand light frosts, but really
cold freezes (like we get up here at 4000') are too much for them. If they
weren't such pretty tress, I'd have to clear them out.
There was an earlier thread about early apples, so I thought I'd give
a quick report on my early varieties. For the first time this year I got
fruits from two new early apples - Monark and Sansa - and I got my second
crop of the older variety Wealthy (not quite as early, but we're eating them
now). Keeping in mind that the first year or so of fruit production may not
give the best fruits, I was impressed with Sansa, but not so taken with
Monark. Sansa produced small, slightly russetted apples, not very
attractive, but the flavor was great! Spicy, sweet and crisp; definitely an
"eat off the tree" treat. (Now, if it will only recover from the apple stem
borer attack this summer, I'll be happy.) Monark was lovely to look at, big
and red with no real blemishes (and I don't spray), but not a good eating
apple. My wife also tried it, and opined that it would make good apple pies.
Wealthy is an apple that grows on you. Another pretty apple - in my
climate a flawless fruit with no real protection, with a nice, glossy red
color. Last crop, I thought them a bit too tart (I prefer a sweet apple),
but this year, I've been more careful not to pick them until the red color
starts to really deepen and the stem breaks free easily. Good flavor - tart
burst when you first bite in, but sweet after a munch or two. Ripens about a
month after the first two, which were ripe here in zone 6 in mid August.
All three apples seem to grow quickly and be quick producers - the
second crop of Wealthy in a tree 6 years old.

gene
spears@lmc.edu

PS - Actually, I should mention a 4th early - the old favorite Yellow
Transparent. Ready here in July, worthless as an eating apple (IMHO), but
great for apple sauce. Also pretty fruit, and a prolific bearer.