nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Anyone growing Golden Nugget?

  • From: Doug Clayton <dnclayton@monad.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Anyone growing Golden Nugget?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:11:46 -0400

I made the mistake of grafting Golden Nugget onto P22/B118 interstem rootstock in '86 and it "runted out" on me but I still got a few (very few) nice apples off of it almost every year till it died along with a bunch of other stuff last winter.  We are at the zone 4/5 boundary.  Last winter was a nasty one here but our trees were also weakened by too much deer browsing.

Another "little golden one" I like is "Blushing Golden".  Always attractive, disease resistant, and easy to grow here and it keeps well too.

Doug Clayton
Jaffrey, NH

Bernie Nikolai wrote:
Hi Kevin,
        I saw and tasted this cultivar when I last visited Fred Janson's
orchard some years ago.  I was VERY impressed with the fruit taste and the
neon yellow glowing fruit.  I had Fred send me scions from his location in
Ontario.  Alas, even topworked, it didn't make it through the winter for me
in zone 3.  It is very tender, as most cultivars do live for me if I go
through the trouble of grafting them onto hardy stembuilders.  The problem
seems to be it does best in cool climates, but isn't hardy.  Not a very good
combination if you ask me...But if you are in the small niche climate where
it will grow well, it is well worth growing.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta