nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apples are now sold by variety name (sort of)

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apples are now sold by variety name (sort of)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:08:42 -0400

On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 09:54 PM, Tom Olenio wrote:

road's end farm wrote:

<snip> Produce managers don't know what the customers are thinking, often,
because nobody tells them. <snip>

Hi,

Produce managers...?

Is that the teenager in the veggie isle with the spray tank of water, or the one following with a
mop? (smile)

Do large supermarkets have knowledgeable staff (re: vegetable, deli, or meat) anywhere that
actually interact with the public?

Just about any supermarket, large or small, has a produce manager. (That's who you talk to if you're trying to sell them produce, too. That's how I know.) Most of them also have a teenager, or older person, or several, who know nothing about the produce except where to find the mop and maybe where to unload which box. The produce manager may or may not actually know anything much about produce, and may or may not be on duty and in the store when you happen to be there; but if you ask to talk to this person, you should be able to at least find out when he/she is there.

If your supermarket has no one who will talk to you, in any department: I'd go to another store, if you can get to one. And tell the first one why.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly