nafex - Re: [NAFEX] caterpillar stings and brown recluse bites too

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] caterpillar stings and brown recluse bites too
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:44:44 -0500

As one has also been bit by a brown recluse spider, I can say it's no
picnic. The spider injects a hemotoxin that affect nearby blood carriers.
In my case, the spider bit me between between the eyebrows. My face swelled
to three times its normal size, my eyes swelled shut and the sinus cavities
went crazy dumping toxin into my digestive system. Needless-to-say, I ended
up in the ER. After a miserable week on antihistimines and antibiotics, I
ended up with a black lesion that necroticized. The ensuing hole on my face
was about the size of a quarter. I had to have plastic surgery to make my
face look presentable. I still have a hard, white scar at the site that is
noticable.

My point, and I have one, is be careful where you poke. And, be very aware
of the critters around.
Doreen Howard