nafex - [NAFEX] saddleback caterpillars

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] saddleback caterpillars
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:45:30 -0500

At 06:24 PM 8/20/2003 -0500, Donna wrote:
The famous ones here in TN are the
saddlebacks, locally known as "Packsaddles" and famous for getting you in
the corn patch. They also like willow trees, and there are a lot of other
stinging caterpillars in the woods. Most of them make very handsome moths
and butterflies, I only mind them when I have a row of painful holes in my
hide.
Whooeee! I still remember my first encounter with a saddleback, while taking a Cub Scout troop on a nature hike, back in TN - Man! I thought I'd been stung by a hornet! Didn't take but just a minute to find that handsome little rascal and point him out to the kids - and warn them about those urticating hairs.
Have had a couple of encounters with them again this year, in the pecan beds while I was grafting. That immediate fiery burning sensation is unmistakable, when you brush up against one of those guys hanging on the bottom side of a leaf.

Here's a link to photos, for those of you who are fortunate enough not to have encountered them yet.

http://troyb.com/photo/gallery/00007460.htm

Lucky