nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hornets/wasps

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hornets/wasps
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:55:23 -0400

Hello,

Are these hornets or yellow-jackets?  I have a nest of yellow-jackets in the mulch under a currant bush, and boy are they aggressive when you mow near them.

Do hornets make nests in the ground, or in mulch?

I was mowing the other day and got stung.  Luckily, I had my fruit tree spray with me and I sprayed the cloud of insects clustered near the ground with it.  I have not been back to see the results.

For a small insect, yellow-jackets have a strong bite.

Lots of rain in SW Ontario.  My rain gauge indicates 2" this past week.

Later,
Tom

bert dunn wrote:

Hello allA neighbor called me regarding a manure pile , with lots of straw therein. As he was moving contents to his garden he was attacked by wasps or hornets.He wants to burn the pile, however its less than 15 feet from his frame garage. IMO not a good idea.Any suggestions on to address this hazard?Thanks in advanceBert Dunn   RR4   Tottenham   Zone 4b
www.hardygrapes.tottenham..on.ca
www.littlefatwino.com/bertslist

_______________________________________________ nafex mailing list nafex@lists.ibiblio.org To unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (can also be use to change other options: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex File attachments are NOT stripped by this list; this can include computer viruses. Please do not send binary files. Use plain text ONLY in emails! Message archives are here: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada