nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hornets/wasps:p.s.

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hornets/wasps:p.s.
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 22:03:38 -0400

If the pile's still heating they might be nice and warm in there even if it's cold outside --

Rivka

From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
Date: Thu Aug 07, 2003 09:51:53 PM US/Eastern
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hornets/wasps

They can't move with any speed if it's cold, even if it's still above freezing; if he can wait to move it until it's in the 30's, he'd be safe enough, as they'll barely be able to crawl.

If he can't wait: get a garden hose and soak the nest. They can't fly when they're wet; and they don't seem to recognize this as an attack, so any that aren't wet on the first spray don't go for the person with the hose (at least not in my experience). Keep the hose handy, as moving the nest will definitely be taken for an attack, and you want to keep them sopping till you've got the nest well out of the way.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly