nafex - Re: [NAFEX] chill-hour requirements for edible crabs

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] chill-hour requirements for edible crabs
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 04:56:07 -0500

Lucky,

I grow all the selections you mention (except Callaway) and others besides.
Wickson was selected in central CA at a medium altitude site that probably
received a fair amount of snow. (Perhaps others on the list can confirm the
site of Albert Etter's test orchard.) It is grown by some of the
Sonoma/Napa types based on information that I have gleaned from a
cider-makers e-forum to which I belong, and probably requires no more chill
than a typical Vitis vinifera. I'll bet that Lon's spectacular book might
help you with chill hours required for those.

Wickson is not particularly edible here in zone 3-4. It never really looses
its tough flesh, although perhaps it might do so in an area with a longer
growing season. I can't tell you how Wickson would fare against the heat
and humidity of the South East. It doesn't appear to be particularly
sensitive to scab or cedar-apple rust here in Wisconsin.

Hope this helps.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3 (Zone 4 last winter)