nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chilean Guava

  • From: Faye and Ned Rahn <plantfolks@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chilean Guava
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:36:01 -0700 (PDT)

Could the "Chilean Guava" be Feijoa sellowiana
'Pineapple Guava'? This is a large shrub/small
evergreen tree, that has edible flower petals and
small, plum-size fruit. It is reported to be hardy in
zones 8 & 9. It is native to South America and is
often used as an ornamental where hardy. There are
named varieties that are propagated mostly by grafting
to seedlings. I have had one called Evandale Supreme
for years, and grew some seedlings last fall. If you
do a web search using the above names, I am sure you
can get good rundown on the plant.

Ned Rahn

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX