nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sato Nishiki cherries

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sato Nishiki cherries
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:57:24 -0700

Beckett wrote:

Mark Lee wrote:

I read a Reuters story this morning about a Japanese cherry variety called
Sato Nishiki. Here is a link:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=4&u=/nm/20030
708/od_nm/cherries_dc

People are stealing these cherries in the night from orchards. Why would
someone do this, and what makes this news worthy? Because these fruits are
so valuable that they are known as "red diamonds". A small box of these
sell for $130. They must be really good cherries.

$130/pint? Hmmn. What hardiness zone is Yamagata? Where can we get some scionwood?

This is deceiving because everything is expensine in Japan when converted to dollars.
A single apple can be boxed and sell for $30.
The same with melons.
A single melon can cost $130.
Price hotel rooms in downtown Tokyo and a meal in same in dollars.
Sam