nafex - [NAFEX] Re:. Snake charmer's flute and BAEL(Aegle marmelos).

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re:. Snake charmer's flute and BAEL(Aegle marmelos).
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:41:23 +0530

Dear Miekal,

I do not think so. I have not seen it anywhere till now.

The body of snake charmers flute is made from a gourd which is somewhat pear
shaped. Many Indian musical instruments, particularly the string
instrumrents are made from gourds.

Bael shells, especially of the wild growing type whose picture can be seen
on my website. These shells were used in earlier times Ayurvedic physicians
for storing very valuable type medical preparations made from metals. These
fruits are relatively smaller in size. They make a small hole in the body
of ripe fruits and take the pulp out. Then the shell is cleaned and dried.

Bael fruits are round and therefore will not suit for making a flute.

The gourds used for making mustical instruments grow these days and the
fruits come to market in August-September. I shall take pictures and e-mail
to you.

Please keep reminding me.

Thanks for the mail.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
www.lesserknownindianplants.com