nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum questions...

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum questions...
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:52:56 -0700

Mauch1@aol.com wrote:

Gene,

I'm having similar frustrations here in zone 6 PA. I have two Japanese plums, Elephant Heart and Purple Heart. They don't bloom "quite" synchronously. And one (I can't remember which at the moment) blooms rather sparsely. One of them did retain a few plumlets for a while, but I think the continuous rain did them in. I grafted Santa Rosa on one tree and Shiro on the other this spring to hope improve pollination going forward. If I had it to over, I'd plant them together as discussed in this forum previously (please see question below.)
I've had decent luck getting Euro plums to flower, but I lost Stanley (?delayed transplanting shock?), and I now have Early Lambert which is not self-fertile. Gene, you mentioned Red Heart, but what are you hoping to have pollinate it? European
plums to my knowledge won't pollinate Japanese, and Reine Claude's are generally not self-fertile (from what I've read).

I find it is useless to graft anything onto Elephant Heart.
It is so vigourous that it will overgrow or squeeze out anything else.
Also i found that I can not graft Elephant Heart on anything else I want to keep.
It just overpowers the original tree.
I grafted an Elephant Heart on a Dave Wilson Pluot 10 years ago.
The Pluot trunk is now about 1" and the elephant Heart is 8 inches in diameter.
There is no new growth on the Pluot each year.
The limbs on the E H grow out 5 or 6 feet per year.
Just my experience.
Sam