nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum questions...

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum questions...
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:42:31 -0700

Gene Spears wrote:

I'm getting pretty frustrated in my plum-growing efforts here in
western NC (zone 6). My Red Heart has flowered the past 3 years, but nary a
plum. Late frosts are the big problem (like most of us on the east coast, I
suspect). My Riene Claude D'Oullins is about 8 years old and hasn't yet
flowered. Are the Europeans slow to mature? Are European plums generally
later blooming than Japanese or hybrids? Any recommended varieties for east
coast climate that typically experiences late freezes?

thanks in advance,

gene

You are not alone.
Here on the Oregon coast it is not frost but the cool rain.
It is too cool for the bees to come out .
And the rain keeps coming down all the time and I gues it washes the pollen away.
Anyway there is very little plum set.
A little later as it warms up the apples and pears will get polinized.
But even they did not over set this year.
Sam