nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum questions...

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum questions...
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:26:50 -0500

At 10:05 AM 6/16/2003 -0400, Gene wrote:
I'm getting pretty frustrated in my plum-growing efforts here in
western NC (zone 6). My Red Heart has flowered the past 3 years, but nary a
plum. Late frosts are the big problem (like most of us on the east coast, I
suspect). My Riene Claude D'Oullins is about 8 years old and hasn't yet
flowered. Are the Europeans slow to mature? Are European plums generally
later blooming than Japanese or hybrids? Any recommended varieties for east
coast climate that typically experiences late freezes?

I've got one fruit set on AU Rubrum and none on AU Homeside - both Japanese hybrid selections from my alma mater, Auburn University.
Still waiting, after 8+ and 6+ years, respectively, for Green Gage and Peach European plums to fruit - the GG has had one branch that has bloomed the past two years, but no fruit set.
Also have another plum, from scions Lon sent me years ago - and I've lost the ID - don't know if it's the Burbank seedless or a numbered selection. It's grafted on P.angustifolia - the only stonefruit rootstock I had available at the time - which is suckering profusely, but no blooms on that one, either.
Have a little (expanding) clump of P.angustifolia(Chickasaw plum) that I rescued from the cow pasture several years ago. It's got a heavy crop of fruits. Small, but tasty, and with minimal insect damage. m beginning to think that the native is gonna be my best bet for reliable fruiting.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY