nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum questions...

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum questions...
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:48:56 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Plum questions...
European plums can take up to 12 years to come into bearing.   Though some of the dwarfing stocks can hasten it a bit.  I don't care Pixy because it is shallow rooted and needs water where St. Julian wouldn't.   My preference would be to graft on Pixy and plant the tree in a hole deep enough that I could gradually fill it in.  Once the tree came into bearing, fill in above the scion and let  it root.  The own rooted tree would grow to full size, but you wouldn't have to wait for it to bear.
I have had the old Peach plum several times and finally gave it up.  It is so disease prone that it's a rare year when you get more than a few fruits.  And though it's very early, there are so many other fruits around at the time it's ripe, it isn't that interesting.
-Lon Rombough
Still waiting, after 8+ and 6+ years, respectively, for Green Gage and
Peach European plums to fruit - the GG has had one branch that has bloomed
the past two  years, but no fruit set.