nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Lye for stumps?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Lye for stumps?
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 20:32:00 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Lye for stumps?
If you aren't in a huge hurry, may I suggest you visit http://www.fungiperfecti.com/  and see about getting some mushrooms to digest the stump?  Takes about three years and you get mushrooms you can eat, or possibly some medicinal types, depending on what you get.  The spawn comes in little wooden plugs.  You just drill holes in the stump and tap in the plugs.  In a few months to a year, the stump produces mushrooms, which also reduce the wood to punky material you can easily break up.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com

How do you use the lye to melt stumps? I have plenty of lye, I also get it
in 50 lb bags for soapmaking. Plenty of stumps too, for that matter.

Joyce