nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tips for budding citrus

  • From: hector black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • To: mrtejas@lycos.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tips for budding citrus
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:37:23 -0700

Hello list!
The thread about cold hardy citrus pushed me to go out and check the bud of
"Morton" citrange which I did 3 years ago. It had come through the past 2
winters OK, but last Jan. it went down to -9 deg. F. Af first the branch
looked OK and green, but as spring progressed it started browning. I
thought it was a gonner until I noticed some adventitious (not sprouting
from the buds at leaf axils) sprouts.
The buds were put on trifoliate at 5 ft. height. One bud died back
almost into the trifoliate, but there are a couple of sprouts coming from
just over the border where it would seem to be "Morton". The other bud
didn't die back quite so far and it has larger sprouts coming from a couple
of inches above the bud union.
Thought this would be of interest in the high to low budding discussion.
It has not fruited.
Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN