nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black locust

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black locust
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:16:38 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] black locust
I can't prove it, but I suspect that black locust seedllings have a hard time getting established here because by the time it's warm enough for the seed to germinate, the soil is too dry.  So it only volunteers in a few places where the soil is both moist and warm at the right time.  Also, I've looked at a lot of black locust stands and I almost never see pods will fully developed seed.  We may not have the right weather for them to fill.  I've seen that with kudzu here - the plants spread by layering in the south, but here the soil is too dry for the stems to root when it's warm enough for the plants to grow.  And it's only in a very rare year that they bloom here, and in 20 years of observing a patch, I never saw it get pods anywhere close to mature.  By the time pods even set on, the cold fall rain stopped development.
-Lon Rombough, Marion County, OR (North of Benton County where Rick lives).