nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black locust

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black locust
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:49:52 -0500

Black locust makes fantastic fenceposts. Untreated black locust will outlast a treated post in the ground (and when it finally rots below ground level, the aboveground remains, if used as firewood, have as the only drawback that they may overheat your stove if you don't have good air intake control). You can cut the posts at desired size and don't need to bother replanting; they'll grow back, and for posts can be cut every few years.

BUT -- plant them where you can mow around the area. They will sucker from the roots and are very invasive. And, the posts are hard to drive staples into; I expect it would be hard to drive nails into black locust lumber.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly