nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black locust

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black locust
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:11:45 -0500

Griffin Gardens wrote:

> <snip> but it doesn't change the fact that we would be better off with
> chestnut and elm.<snip>

Hi,

Is the elm really gone?

The short answer is no, there are still elms. Have you heard of the Elm
Recovery Project by Henry Kock at the University of Guelph, Ontario?

Evidently, some of the great elms did have resistence to dutch elm
disease and have survived untouched, and unmarred by disease. It is a
matter of finding these trees and selecting specimens for seed producing
orchards.

We still have many elms in our area, and they are primarily rural
trees. This is possibly due to rural life styles, that when an elm
flagged a yellow branch it was not taken down by the farmer (too many
other things to do) and the tree recovered (not all, but some).
However, in the suburban areas a tree that flagged yellow was taken down
immeadiately to contain the disease.

First we brought in dutch elm disease, then we did not wait long enough
to see if an elm would survive, compounding our error.

If you are interested in the Elm Recovery Project go here;
(comprehensive)

http://www.uoguelph.ca/arboretum/elmrecov.htm

"The Elm Recovery Project will accomplish
the long term work of nature in a relatively
short period of time, resulting in a "new
generation" of disease resistant elms in Ontario
for future generations. "

Later,
Tom
====