nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Edible Honeysuckle Info

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Edible Honeysuckle Info
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:29:39 -0800 (PST)

If I recall, One Green World Nursery has some named
cultivars of this plant.

http://www.onegreenworld.com/

(not listed on their website though)

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX

http://taxes.yahoo.com/
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:44:36 -0800
From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

--MS_Mac_OE_3129702276_283804_MIME_Part

OGW has a lot of trouble with incorrectly named material. With a fruit lik=
edible honeysuckle, where only a few people know the differences in the
varieties, how are the buyers to know?
There is someone in the U.S. breeding new varieties that will have much
better adaptation/production to conditions here, but I'm not sure I should
mention the person as they would be overrun with seekers and they don't hav=
material ready to release to the public.
-Lon Rombough

,
plain text ONLY!
Message archives are here:
To view your user options go to:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX@XXXX i=
YOUR email address)
NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

--MS_Mac_OE_3129702276_283804_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [NAFEX] Edible Honeysuckle Info</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
OGW has a lot of trouble with incorrectly named material. &nbsp;With a frui=
t like edible honeysuckle, where only a few people know the differences in t=
he varieties, how are the buyers to know?<BR>
There is someone in the U.S. breeding new varieties that will have much bet=
ter adaptation/production to conditions here, but I'm not sure I should ment=
ion the person as they would be overrun with seekers and they don't have mat=
erial ready to release to the public.<BR>
-Lon Rombough<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<B>From: </B>rob hamilton &lt;lostman_amiga@yahoo.com&gt;<BR>
<B>Reply-To: </B>North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org=
&gt;<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:29:39 -0800 (PST)<BR>
<B>To: </B>North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;<B=

<B>Subject: </B>Re: [NAFEX] Edible Honeysuckle Info<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><TT>If I recall, One Green World Nursery has some named<BR>
cultivars of this plant.<BR>
<BR>
http://www.onegreenworld.com/<BR>
<BR>
(not listed on their website though)<BR>
<BR>
--- Mauch1@aol.com wrote:<BR>
&gt; &gt;The U of S imported some plants and they are<BR>
&gt; testing <BR>
&gt; &gt;them now.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; I wonder if these varieties will ever make it to the<BR>
&gt; U.S.A.?<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt;&quot;Blue Bell&quot; was probably the best tasting of the 4<BR>
&gt; &quot;OLD&quot; <BR>
&gt; &gt;cultivars that was tested.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Interesting. &nbsp;In the two catalogs that list &quot;Berry<BR>
&gt; Blue&quot; and &quot;Blue Belle&quot;, &quot;Berry Blue&quot; is liste=
d as<BR>
&gt; the &quot;tasty&quot; one.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Any other opinions out there?<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Chris Mauchline<BR>
&gt; SE PA, zone 6<BR>
&gt; 40=B0 5' N &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;75=B0 51'W<BR>
&gt; ~650 ft elevation<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; &lt;&lt;Some testing into the Edible Honeysuckle is being<BR>
&gt; done at the University of <BR>
&gt; Saskatchewan. &nbsp;&quot;Blue Bell&quot; was probably the best<BR>
&gt; tasting of the 4 &quot;OLD&quot; <BR>
&gt; cultivars that was tested. &nbsp;However, in Siberia,<BR>
&gt; where they originated, I <BR>
&gt; have heard that they use these cultivars only for<BR>
&gt; ornamental reasons. &nbsp;There <BR>
&gt; have been many new cultivars released since &quot;Blue<BR>
&gt; Bell&quot; with immensely <BR>
&gt; higher quality fruit. &nbsp;The U of S imported some<BR>
&gt; plants and they are testing <BR>
&gt; them now.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Here are a few interesting characteristics:<BR>
&gt; - OPEN fruit blossoms are reported to be hardy to<BR>
&gt; -7C!<BR>
&gt; - The fruit ripen before strawberries. &nbsp;Up here,<BR>
&gt; this equates to a<BR>
&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;bloom time of 1st week in May, and ripen time in<BR>
&gt; mid-june.<BR>
&gt; - Hardiness to -40C.<BR>
&gt; - Dwarf growing, to 6' high and 6' wide.<BR>
&gt; - Not self-fertile. &nbsp;Need to plants of different<BR>
&gt; cultivars to pollinate.<BR>
&gt; - Long, cylindrical shaped fruit, Over 1&quot; long, .25&quot;<BR>
&gt; in diameter.<BR>
&gt; - Some say, &quot;Blueberry-like taste&quot;, but I disagree.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Dean<BR>
&gt; Regina, Saskatchewan Canada<BR>
&gt; USDA Zone 2/3<BR>
&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>
&gt; _______________________________________________<BR>
&gt; nafex mailing list<BR>
&gt; nafex@lists.ibiblio.org<BR>
&gt; Most questions can be answered here:<BR>
&gt; http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex<BR>
&gt; File attachments are accepted by this list; please<BR>
&gt; do not send binary files, plain text ONLY!<BR>
&gt; Message archives are here:<BR>
&gt; https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex<BR>
&gt; To view your user options go to: <BR>
&gt;<BR>
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX<BR>
&gt; (where XXXX@XXXX is <BR>
&gt; YOUR email address)<BR>
&gt; NAFEX web site: &nbsp;&nbsp;http://www.nafex.org/<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
File attachments are accepted by this list; please do not send binary files=
, plain text ONLY!<BR>
Message archives are here:<BR>
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex<BR>
To view your user options go to: <BR>
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX@XXXX i=
s <BR>
YOUR email address)<BR>
NAFEX web site: &nbsp;&nbsp;http://www.nafex.org/<BR>
<BR>
</TT></BLOCKQUOTE><TT><BR>
</TT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3129702276_283804_MIME_Part--