nafex - [NAFEX] Edible Honeysuckle Info

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Edible Honeysuckle Info
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:11:43 -0600

Some testing into the Edible Honeysuckle is being done at the University of Saskatchewan. "Blue Bell" was probably the best tasting of the 4 "OLD" cultivars that was tested. However, in Siberia, where they originated, I have heard that they use these cultivars only for ornamental reasons. There have been many new cultivars released since "Blue Bell" with immensely higher quality fruit. The U of S imported some plants and they are testing them now.

Here are a few interesting characteristics:
- OPEN fruit blossoms are reported to be hardy to -7C!
- The fruit ripen before strawberries. Up here, this equates to a
bloom time of 1st week in May, and ripen time in mid-june.
- Hardiness to -40C.
- Dwarf growing, to 6' high and 6' wide.
- Not self-fertile. Need to plants of different cultivars to pollinate.
- Long, cylindrical shaped fruit, Over 1" long, .25" in diameter.
- Some say, "Blueberry-like taste", but I disagree.

Dean
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA Zone 2/3