nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomona in PDF

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrxtexas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomona in PDF
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 12:09:07 -0600

Since I am the one that stirred this question up, I am volunteering to
publish an example POMONA as a PDF file for proto-typing. I estimate that
the effort would take about and hour or two to finish. Up to five files can
be converted to PDF at the Adobe website for free during a trial software
evaluation. All I would need is the computer file used for publishing in
Microsoft Word or PC text file format and a copy of the paper POMONA to scan
in any graphics. I would then put a link on my website for anyone wanting to
take a look and post a link to the list server. The file could be password
protected for downloading. Acrobat reader can be downloaded for free to view
PDF files. Contact me off list for this.

I am surprised at the large volume of response to my question and it seems to
be equally pro and con. Personally I like to read magazines rather than read
PDF files, but I see potential cost savings for a small volume publication
like POMONA since the cost to publish electronically is essentially zero. By
the way, my website

http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber/

costs me nothing as it has annoying pop-up ads. A freeware(link on my site)
is available to get rid of the pop-ups. I had to buy Microsoft Frontpage for
about $200 to build the site. I built it because of the lack of web sites I
could find that had enough practical details available about grafting to
really succeed. Another reason was to document with words and pictures what I
learn about grafting so I can remember what to do next year.