nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomona in PDF

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomona in PDF
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 00:00:12 -0500

One additional issue that comes up with PDF distribution is copyrights. Legally, the position is the same for stuff published electronically as on paper, but in practice, it is just so easy to copy electronic files that it happens a lot more often. What might have been one guy giving a copy of one page to a friend on paper can become someone else "publishing" the same text on another forum. At least on NAFEXer stopped posting to this list because there was no way to enforce (or even encourage people to observe) his copyright.

Publishing in PDF is pretty easy - anyone with a Mac running OS X (which seems to be a lot of us) could do it, although I don't have the time. Distributing by e-mail wouldn't be that hard, either. PDFs are easy to search.

Of course, my mail archive (on my home computer) is easy to search, too. And I confess that I've taken my laptop into the bathroom with me to browse this mailing list. Still, I'm happy getting Pomona in hardcopy, and I agree with the folks who point out that electronic formats go obsolete all too quickly.

Cheers,
Ginda