nafex - Re: [NAFEX] olive trees found in Bulgaria at -4'F

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] olive trees found in Bulgaria at -4'F
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:45:34 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] olive trees found in Bulgaria at -4'F
I'm halfway suspicious that it might be Russian Olive (Eleagnus), but I can't tell enough from the picture.  Hector Black?  You can probably tell.
   Even if it is an olive, that doesn't mean it will bear.  I had an uncle who had a peach tree in Iowa where peaches shouldn't grow, but this one did.  But it never bore because the fruit buds are more tender than the leaf buds and they froze every year.  The result was a beautiful vigorous, non-bearing peach tree.  Might be the same with the olive - it would grow, but the flower buds might be frozen out.
   As to the fig, I have a Desert King that has survived 0 F without freezing off.  The trick is to grow it in a dry location to force it to harden off well.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com