nafex - [NAFEX] of PBS, dopers, and Chameleons

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] of PBS, dopers, and Chameleons
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:58:55 -0800 (PST)

It was written:

Interesting nature program Sunday night on public tv on lizards. One
fascinating segment was on commercial vinyards in South Africa where they
backed off on chemical insecticides in favor of native chameleons. To protect
them during mechanical harvest they hand pick the little fellas off of acres
of vines - and place them in the nearby forest for good keeping.

Apparently they return and repopulate the vinyard by the next bug season -
and happily do bug control all over again. Del, 25 below, no lizards here!

My reply:

My personal opinion is that the closest most of the people on PBS get to
observing nature is experiencing the fact that some natural herbs make them
feel real, real pleasant when smoked.

Chameleons huh. Even old world Chameleons consume relatively few insects.
New world one even less(anoles). I have raised many Chameleons, anoles,
toads, frogs etc and I can guarantee you that a toad will out crunch and
munch them all by a very wide margin (they are more susceptible to pesticides
however). That being stated it is far easier to simply use spiders for
predation. You just get some breeding stock and place the egg cases where
you want them. What is nice is various spiders hunt different sized insects
at many different levels in many different habitats. So you can get fairly
diverse coverage.

Nothing personal but I would really like to see a controlled study of
Chameleons vineyard verses a non-Chameleon vineyard. My guess is the
predatory insects have increased in number as a direct result of the decrease
of insecticides, which also allowed for a return of the Chameleons, and
created the illusion that the Chameleons where actually providing the insect
control.

Regards,

the fluffy bunny

“never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers”

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com w/No
Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag