nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Micropropagation (was cats)

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Micropropagation (was cats)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:49:52 -0500

> Lee Elliott asked:
>
>> Question---- is it posible to micropropagate an apple tree from an apple
>> itself?

Keith Benson wrote:

Unfortunately there is not. The best materials for TC are the meristems or growth points at shoot tips, buds etc.

Keith

Joe adds:

Seems like I saw an article in the International Dwarf Fruit Tree Assn proceedings about tissue culture of apples based on the "gel" between the seed coat and the actual seed. Advantages cited were lower rate of virus and genetically identical to the mother tree. The article specifically mentioned Malus baccata (Siberian crab)

I do not know if the paper was mainstream science and has been replicated or if it is shaky science. Original paper was '85 or '86 timeframe.

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel