nafex - [NAFEX] Mite control

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mite control
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:22:26 -0800

Just got a new bee supply catalog and found something new in Varroa mite
control - drone comb. To the non beekeepers, drones are male bees, and
because they are larger than the workers, they require a bigger cell to go
from egg to adult in. Usually the bees fill in corners and damaged areas
with "drone comb" as it is called, but the beekeeper tries to keep drone
comb to a minimum because drones are only needed to fertilize new, virgin
queens and otherwise just use resources.
Now, however, research finds that the mites go to drone larva in
preference to worker larva, so if you put in combs that are all drone cells,
they fill up with drone larvae and the mites go there. The beekeeper then
removes those combs, puts them in the freezer to kill the mites, and puts
them back in. The bees clean out the dead larva (and the dead mites) and
are ready to go again.
I think this is an elegant solution, though it probably isn't 100%
perfect.

-Lon Rombough