nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Micropropagation (was cats)

  • From: Keith Benson <kgbenson@mindspring.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Micropropagation (was cats)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:23:51 -0500

I messed around with orchid seeds for a little bit. My plan was to use that as a springboard for micropropagation. Orchid supply houses have many pre-mixes for the media. There are also many homemade recipes. They usually have a thickener. Agar is the most common but I have seen recipes with corn starch. They also have a nutrient source, usually mashed bananas but sometimes bizarre things like ketchup. Basically, you make up the media, pour about an inch (25 mm) into each container and then "can" it like you would cold pack apple sauce.

Pressure cooker for 15-20 minutes at 15 lbs pressure and voila - sterile! I do banana plants, but ahve also done ferns and orchids. The process is relly quite simple once you get the hang of it. There are a growing number of hobbiest folk doing these sorts of things and the media companies sell in small lots. Just add water, adjust ph, autoclav and off you go.

Also - bear in mind that places like USDA germplam repositories ar Corvallis and such have many of their cultivars in tissue culture and will happily send out subculture. This spring I might avail myself of some of their blueberries, and get this - they're free!

Some websites if anyone is interested:

http://www.une.edu.au/~agronomy/AgSSrHortTCinfo.html
http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/facfro/cloning/cloning.html
http://www.home.turbonet.com/kitchenculture/listserv.htm