nafex - Re: [NAFEX] A rewarding little fruit...

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@columbia-center.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] A rewarding little fruit...
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:48:46 -0800

To the list,

Glad to see the enthusiasm for strawberries .I always think of Isaac Walton's quote, "As Dr. Boteler said of strawberries, 'Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless God never did.'"(1655)

Most of the replies have come from the East or Midwest, so I will jump to the Pacific. As you said, varieties tend to be local.

The best I ever ate was as a child in Alaska from plants passed around in village gardens. From the folklore and what I read in George Darrow's book on strawberries, I believe they were crosses of wild and cultivated varieties made at the Sitka experiment station between 1905 and 1923 . It said the best selections were widely distributed.

In the Pacific Northwest, the Marshall is legendary, but I have never tasted it, as it apparently has lost its vigor to disease. Writers who remembered the Marshall praised the Siletz as its equal, and I have eaten and loved the Siletz with its aromatic "strawberry" flavor. Commercial processors did not like it however, because its core came out when it was picked.

Today I give top marks to the Shuksan for flavor and aroma. Plants are available from several sources, including Raintree in Morton, Wash. It is tops for fresh eating and for frozen strawberry jam. It is not found in stores or even farmers' markets, but is grown in some U-Pick fields.

Betty Mayfield
Oregon