nafex - Re: [NAFEX] A rewarding little fruit...

  • From: "Richard O'Barr" <aatopgunaa@mindspring.com>
  • To: <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] A rewarding little fruit...
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:51:25 -0600

Have you tried sparkle?
Topgun
Zone 7
----- Original Message -----
From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 2:07 AM
Subject: [NAFEX] A rewarding little fruit...

> Gang:
>
> Ok now on to a fruit that is delicious to eat, easy to grow, and offers so
much for so little...Strawberries...

> I am always curious as to the obsession Nafexers seem to have with
"antique' apples and their apathy toward some of the truly ambrosiatic (uhh,
I think I just invented a word here) strawberries developed in the first
part of the 20th century. Just like with the apple the strawberries of
today have more disease resistance than many of their forbearers but many
lack the quintessential combination of flavor, aroma, and sugars that make
for a truly exquisite palatary (hmmm, there goes another TFB creation also)
delight. Today most strawberries are grown for their resistance to
herbicides, uniformity of size throughout the growing season, shipping
durability, and storage characteristics. Flavor is a factor that is often
considered as an afterthought, and sadly today few truly know what a high
flavor strawberry tastes like..

> I grow 9 varieties of strawberries here, but for flavor nothing touches
Fairfax an old 1923 cross and 1993 release from the U.S. Department of
Agriculture. I simply have not known a better tasting strawberry. It is a
bit tricky to grow, but I have found good success growing it in dappled
shade, in rotting wood chips sweetened up with wood ash...they certainly are
scrumptious little things...I am in the midwest outside of Chicago (in zone
4b (can you say burr)...

> I am curious what your favorite strawberry is, and naturally what region
you grow it in (strawberries are very, very local...) I guess I am simply
stating I would be remiss to find out I missed a truly outstanding variety
simply out of ignorance.