nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 'non synthetic' herbicide

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 'non synthetic' herbicide
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:29:48 +0000

We have been using buckwheat for several years to add organic matter to clay soil, and as a rotation. I cut it down with a weed whip just as it blooms, gets over 3'high, great weed supressor. I had been trying to till it under with our troybilt but it really made work - wrapping up in the tines. Then I read an opinion that the roots add more organic matter then the tops, and it is good to just leave it on surface, sure easier!
Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

I'm not 100% sure if this is the same thing, but I know that if you
cultivate lightly, then plant buckwheat thickly, it grows up very thick,
blocking the ability of other weeds to germinate. When it gets close to
flowering, mow it off and plant through the debris and stubble without
cultivating. I have heard of growers who don't even mow - they use a roller
to flatten the plants to make a sort of sheet mulch. This adds organic
matter which mulches the soil enough to block the germination of weed seed,
while the decomposing roots leave channels in the soil to improve the
structure.
-Lon Rombough