nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 'non synthetic' herbicide

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 'non synthetic' herbicide
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:58:18 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] 'non synthetic' herbicide
I'm not 100% sure if this is the same thing, but I know that if you cultivate lightly, then plant buckwheat thickly, it grows up very thick, blocking the ability of other weeds to germinate.  When it gets close to flowering, mow it off and plant through the debris and stubble without cultivating.  I have heard of growers who don't even mow - they use a roller to flatten the plants to make a sort of sheet mulch.  This adds organic matter which mulches the soil enough to block the germination of weed seed, while the decomposing roots leave channels in the soil to improve the structure.
-Lon Rombough